Talking about Packing Up for A Move

Making A Career Move Overseas With Your Family In Tow? Here Are 3 Important Things To Know

If you've recently landed an international job that will take you and your family to the other side of the globe, congratulations! Now it's time to get down to the nitty-gritty of getting everything packed and stored or moved. However, it's important to understand there's far more to moving your family internationally than that. In keeping with the theme of your new career move, here are a few other Cs to be aware of as you prepare for your relocation. 


It's important to have certified copies of your marriage and birth certificates. Depending on your state, getting these certified copies can take some time. And again, depending on the state, the vital records offices that need to be contacted could be anything from the local health department, county courthouse, or a state-wide vital records department. This can be difficult to narrow down, especially if you were married or any family members were born in a different location from where you currently reside. 

If you are moving to a country where there will be a language barrier in speech and in written word, it's important to have these vital records translated to the appropriate primary language where you will be moving to. These translated copies will need to be certified by a translating service. Therefore, it's a good idea to hire an international relocation service that provides solutions to everything that is involved in moving overseas, including obtaining certified original and translated copies of these vital records. 


You'll need insurance coverage for health care and your vehicles, if you choose to take a vehicle with you. Since health care is handled differently in each country around the world, your new employer will likely explain the health care system to you or at least inform you as to whether or not your health insurance premiums are taken out of your paycheck like is done stateside, in most cases. In some countries with universal healthcare systems, a health insurance coverage tax is taken out of everyone's paychecks. If your new employer doesn't provide you with the information you need to ensure that you and each of your family members will have health coverage, speak with a representative of an international relocation service for more information. 

Since it's typically easier to drive your family around rather than have your family take public transportation, you're probably considering shipping your vehicle overseas. Therefore, you'll need vehicle insurance coverage. However, doing so would also mean that you'll need an international driver's license or a temporary driver's license of some sort, depending on where you are moving to. Before you make the decision to take on the expenses that go along with having a personal vehicle overseas, consider all the costs that are involved, such as gas and parking, in addition to insurance coverage and an international driver's license. It may be a better idea to have your vehicle stored by an international moving company instead. 


With your children in tow, you'll get a thorough lesson in the curriculum differences between stateside schools and the schools in your new location. However, in many countries foreign students are required to attend international schools. Fortunately, there are 7,017 international schools worldwide, with 42% of them having a UK-based curriculum and 23% of them having an American-based curriculum. 

Just as if your children would transfer to a different school district stateside, there will likely be an adjustment period for your student(s) while they transition to the new education experience and new curriculum. Your international relocation service can help the transition go smoothly by ensuring that all the educational records are transferred in advance of the move. You can find an international relocation company online at a site like